Max's Samurai

Home Forums Listener’s Rides Samurai Max's Samurai

• This topic has 8 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by MAX.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MAX
    Participant

Always been a jeep guy but wanted to give a samurai a try in search of a ultra lite weight mini beater. Cheap, simple, and capable.

Some of what I’ve done includes: Stock 1.3 with a modified hill happy weber carb with a hand throttle. 6.5 twin stick t case. Spring over. High steer. Spartan lockers front and rear. chromoly shafts. A cage I welded up using the stock main hoop. 31×11.5r15 swampers on 15×8 steel wheels and I welded some rock rings on to stiffen the rim lips. I run 2 psi with the tires glued to the rims with self vulcanizing tape to prevent bead leaks.

Small tires and little power make this thing a blast to drive. I bash the crap out of it on the rocks and somehow she holds together. Since these pictures, my winter project has been to cut the rockers off and boat sided up to the bottom of the doors and dove tail it, taking 10 inches out of the tailgate.

Just shy of 2200 lbs and $3200 invested including the truck.

33s in this picture

MAX
    Participant

A few updates. Got the boat sides done and removed 8 inches from the tail gate and pinched the body in. 

MAX
    Participant

And Next was paint. A new look for the new year.

Before:

After:

And all back together:

MAX
    Participant

Well I made a poor decision after coming across a brand new set of 33 12.5 MTRs…all 4 for $600. Then I sold my swampers for almost the same amount. Its a lot of tire even for chromoly shafts. 

And yes ALL swampers run small. These are full tread 31×11.5r15s

VS the realistic 33 of the MTRs

Both were unmounted when measured.

MAX
    Participant

Scored some suspension seats on craigslist for $80 for the pair!

And then ordered 4 point v harnesses but realized once they got here, one was pull up and one was pull down. So I had to reorder the correct pull down black harness.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by MAX.
    MAX
    Participant

Got a lot done this weekend. Seats mounted. Harnesses in. Tires installed. And I took the front locker OUT! yes out! With the new tires I wanted to take some stress off of the shafts and the steering.

I had new shackles made. i hat to get rid of this home made crap that came on the samurai when I bought it.

I got shackles made by Zack Feagle of Dr. Z Fab. They looked so good raw I decided to just bake on some poly clear coat and got them installed. 

MAX
    Participant

Here she is now. 

MAX
    Participant

I also Had the opportunity to add to my back yard rock collection.

Here is the boulders I already had. 

Ill get pictures of the added rock some time this week after I get them placed where I want them.

MAX
    Participant

Some new additions…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest Podcasts

Instagram